Are you looking for a way to cut down on dairy? Did you just run out of cow’s milk? Or are you lactose intolerant? Or perhaps you want to go vegan. No problem! We are here to help with unique ideas for a – substitute for milk in cereal. You can use oat milk beverage, soy milk beverage, macadamia beverage, rice milk beverage, almond milk beverage, coconut milk, coffee, and many other options.
Depending on your taste and texture preferences, you may have to experiment a bit to find the one you like best. Give it a try! It might surprise you how delicious all of them are.
Some of these ideas will help you out if you are in a bind and just ran out of milk. In comparison, other substitutes will help you plan for unique ideas for milk alternatives for cereal.
The good news is that many milk alternatives for cereal are shelf-stable. Therefore even if you usually drink cow’s milk, it’s a good idea to keep a few milk substitutes on hand just in case you ever run out.
We will go over some good options for what to keep on hand, so you are not stuck without milk in the future. In addition, we will also cover what to use right now, when you don’t have any shelf stable milks in your cupboard.
Substitute for Milk in Cereal: 12 Easy Milk Alternative Ideas
Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Almond, Cashew, & Macadamia Nut Beverage
The best vegan milk for cereal is the Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Almond, Cashew, & Macadamia Nut Beverage. Hands down it’s my favorite substitute for milk in cereal. The blend of the three different nuts sets this milk alternative apart.
It has a light, naturally sweet flavor that’s perfect for cereal. Having no added sugars and a naturally excellent taste makes me always keep some on hand. Recently I used this as a milk substitute for mac and cheese, and nobody knew the difference!
It’s a fantastic plant-based milk for cereal that will complement the flavor or your cereal.This milk substitute is also very nutritious. It contains 160 mg of calcium and 30 mg of potassium.
It’s shelf-stable, so you can always keep it on hand. This milk alternative can be used as a substitute for milk in mashed potatoes, baking, oatmeal, cereals, smoothies, and cooking.
Calories per 1 cup – 30
Almond Milk with Cereal
Who needs dairy when you’ve got almond milk? They make this delicious drink from ground almonds and water, and it’s a great source of vitamin E – an antioxidant that helps protect your body from free radical damage. Almond milk is also low in calories compared with cow’s milk, so it’s a healthy choice for anyone on the go.
Calories per 1 cup – 40
- DELICIOUSLY CREAMY: Califia’s unsweetened almondmilk has a satisfyingly creamy texture without a hint of chalk.
- SMOOTH, NOT BITTER: This plant milk has a great-tasting smoothness akin to dairy milk that’s very low on the bitterness scale.
- LOW-CAL DECADENCE: With a taste this smooth and creamy, you won’t believe there’s just 40 calories per serving.
- PANTRY FRIENDLY: Because this Shelf Stable Unsweetened Almondmilk doesn’t need to be refrigerated (until opened), you can stock up.
- UNSWEETENED: Made from the best ingredients, no sugar is needed to make Unsweetened Almondmilk taste good.
Oat Milk in Cereal
Are you looking for a nutritious and delicious milk alternative for your cereal? Oat milk is perfect for you! Made with whole oats; it’s packed with fiber and protein (it has more protein than nut beverages) and has a wonderfully creamy texture, making it an awesome substitute for milk in cereal.
Plus, it’s naturally lactose-free, making it ideal for those who are lactose intolerant. A bonus is the barista blend works excellent for coffee; it does not separate like almond and soy milk. Give oat milk a try today! What’s the best oat milk for cereal? Either the Oatly or the Califia Farms, either oat milk is good for cereal.
Calories per 1 cup – 140
No products found.
Coffee with Cereal
Did you just pour yourself a bowl of cereal, add a banana, add some fresh blueberries, only to realize you don’t have any milk? What do you do? Occasionally, I experience this, although I usually keep some nut milk on hand.
When I run out of milk, I use coffee as a substitute for milk in cereal. Let the coffee cool down to room temperature (or throw a small ice cube in it), then just pour it over your cereal in place of milk. I like how it adds a layer of coffee flavor to my cereal. More importantly it complements many cereals.
Calories per 1 cup – 0
Soy Milk with Cereal
Soy milk is the perfect drink for people looking for an alternative to dairy milk. If you need a substitute for milk in cereal, give soy milk a try. They make it from soybeans, and many brands fortify their soy milk with vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D and calcium.
Soy milk is low in sugar and calories, and it packs a lot of protein into a small cup. When buying soy milk, make sure you purchase organic soy milk because the soybean fields are known to have a lot of pesticides on them.
Calories per 1 cup – 131
- ADD ORGANIC SOYMILK TO YOUR PANTRY: Certified organic Soymilk is delicious whether poured over cereal, added to coffee, or enjoyed on its own
- SHELF-STABLE: Comes in special packaging for convenient, non-refrigerated storage
- DELICIOUSLY WHOLESOME: Dairy-, lactose-, and casein-free; absolutely no carrageenan, gluten, egg, peanut, MSG, or added sugar
- A NUTRITIONAL POWERHOUSE: A good source of heart-healthy soy protein; low in saturated fat; zero cholesterol
- NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED, VEGAN-FRIENDLY Soymilk with no artificial colors or flavors
Coconut Milk with Cereal
Is coconut milk with cereal any good? We like the coconut milk that you find in the refrigerated section of Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. It has the best consistency, and you can confidently have your cereal with coconut milk without worrying about a strange taste.
However, Coconut milk that comes in a can is not the kind of coconut milk you want with your cereal as a substitute for milk in cereal. However, the coconut milk below is a “coconut beverage,” so the consistency will align with cow’s milk. If you open your coconut milk but don’t want to use the entire container, you can easily freeze your coconut milk, to use at a later date!
Calories per 1 cup – 45
- Brought to you by Whole Foods Market
If you have nothing else on hand (like oat milk, almond milk, or yogurt), you can always use water as a substitute for milk in cereal. Water is an excellent source of hydration, and it’s calorie-free. If you put your cereal in a bowl, then just add a little water; you will at least be able to eat the cereal as you usually do. Water will work great when you are in a pinch and have no other options.
Calories per 1 cup – 0
Unlike other non-dairy milk, Hemp milk includes all necessary amino acids and is thus a complete protein. Hemp milk has a large portion of unsaturated fat, containing the essential omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Our body needs omegas for physiological processes, and you can only acquire them from food since your body doesn’t make these nutrients on its own.
Hemp milk is also packed with vitamins – including A, D, and E – essential for health. It does have fewer calories than cow’s milk. Hemp seeds and hemp milk are a superfood and make a great substitute for milk in cereal.
Calories per 1 cup – 130
- FRESH HEMP MILK CONCENTRATE: Goodmylk Co. innovative packaging makes it possible to enjoy fresh hemp milk daily!
- GREAT VALUE: This pack contains 6, 10oz frozen packets, making 6 quarts of fresh hemp milk. Arrives frozen.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: Certified organic raw hemp seeds, certified organic date syrup, alkaline water, ancient mineral salt.
- DAIRY FREE AND DELICIOUS: We know you have so many choices for dairy alternatives: soymilk, almondmilk, hempmilk, coconutmilk, cashewmilk, ricemilk, peamilk, goats milk, flaxmilk, and so many more. Pure and clean, never any chemical fillers, binders or preservatives, NON GMO, Vegan, Low Glycemic, & Sustainable
- NO COMPARISON: Hold Goodmylk Co. dairy-alternative products up to Veggemo, Freydas, Charged Chocolate, Good Karma, Augason Farms, Milkadamia, Almond Breeze, Meyeberg, Tigers Milk, Instant Milk, Honeyville Farms, Rice Dream, Tempt, Healthworks, or Coconut Cloud.
Rice milk was my favorite thing to put in cereal for years until I discovered the Trader Joe’s blend that I now use. The energy and vitality I experienced when eating rice milk were unparalleled, plus you can’t taste the difference in your cereal.
Rice milk is a lactose-free and vegan-friendly drink made from rice. More importantly, you can get it with no sugar, or just a hint of vanilla. In addition, vanilla rice milk makes a great substitute for milk in cereal.
It is often enriched with various nutrients, making it a healthy choice for those looking for an alternative to dairy milk. Rice milk is light and refreshing more than some of the other thicker milk alternatives. The energy and vitality I experienced when eating rice milk were unparalleled, plus you cant taste the difference in your cereal.
Calories per 1 cup – 100
What to use for cereal when you are out of milk?
Did you just realize you are out of milk after you already poured your bowl of cereal? It’s time to improvise!
Using coffee, tea, or water are going to be your best bets, most people have these readily on hand. But here are a few other ideas to get you through this problem.
We’ve all been there; you just pour your cereal and then realize you are out of milk. You start looking around your fridge to see if you have something else. Can you use coffee creamer instead of milk in cereal? The answer is yes! It works the same way!
Coffee creamer is thicker with higher fat content and way more calories, so just be aware of that when you use it. You may want to use a splash of coffee creamer and a splash of water or coffee. Adding a splash of water or coffee will cut down on the thickness of the creamer.
Calories per 1 cup – over 500
Greek Yogurt with Cereal
What to do if you don’t like milk in your cereal but want the creamy consistency? Greek yogurt is another excellent substitute for milk in cereal. Greek yogurt has a thicker, creamier texture than regular yogurt, and it works just as well! The grain will still be crunchy when it’s mixed with the yogurt.
Calories per 1 cup – 100
Dairy-free Yogurt with Cereal
For cereal, dairy-free yogurt is a unique substitute for milk. It has the same consistency as dairy-based yogurt but without all of the harmful effects of regular cow’s milk. It comes in soy, coconut milk, oat milk, cashew milk, and more. You can find dairy-free yogurt at most health food stores and major supermarkets.
Calories per 1 cup – Between 80 and 180, depending on what type
What’s the Best Non-Dairy Milk for Cereal?
The Trader Joe’s, Almond, Hazelnut, Macadamia Milk Beverage is one of the best milk alternatives for cereal; it’s what I use every day! There is nothing better than Trader Joe’s Almond, Hazelnut, Macadamia Milk Beverage for cereal if you are lucky enough to live close to a Trader Joe’s.
If you don’t live near a TJ’s, then below, you can buy it in a set with two other types of milk alternatives; they are all excellent for cereal. However, I would not put any of them into the coffee. You can even use it for mashed potatoes!
- Limited edition, seasonal flavors
- You get a wave design long stirring spoon and three tetrapacks of almond beverages, one of each kind: Matcha Almond Beverage, Blueberry Lavender Flavored Almond Beverage, Unsweetened Almond Cashew and Macadamia Nut Beverage
- Match Almond Beverage: Fine Matcha powder made from ground green tea leaves adds a rich and earthy flavor. Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, and kosher.
- Blueberry Lavender Flavored Almond Beverage: Made with Lavender extract, it tastes as if you’re frolicking through a blooming lavender field while eating blueberries. Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, and kosher.
- Unsweetened Almond Cashew and Macadamia Nut Beverage: Packed with three different types of nuts -- fragrant Almond, buttery Cashew, and creamy Macadamia, this rich blend has a touch of sea salt to enhance these inherently nutty flavors. Free of dairy, gluten, lactose, and soy, this beverage is vegan and kosher.
Final Thoughts for Substitute for Milk in Cereal: 10 Easy Milk Alternative Ideas
The best milk alternative for cereal is going to depend on your dietary needs and preferences. The Trader Joe’s Almond, Hazelnut, Macadamia Milk Beverage has all the flavor and nutrients that you need in a non-dairy beverage and it tastes great mixed with cereal. For vegans or those allergic to dairy, try this or another option such as rice milk or soy yogurt. We hope that this article answered any questions you had about what to do if you don’t have milk for your cereal.
More Kitchen Tips
Are you taking a trip to NYC, and want to hit up the best vegan brunch spot? Knowing what they are ahead of time can help!
If you want to learn all about glass cooking pot, as well as the pros and cons, we can help!
Everything has an expiration date, find out how long you can keep mac and chees in the fridge before you need to freeze it, eat it, or toss it!