The answer is yes; you can freeze coconut milk. Coconut milk is a delicious dairy-free alternative that is perfect for cooking, baking, and morning smoothies. In addition to being available in cans, you may also freeze coconut milk to keep it on hand. In this article, you’ll find suggestions for freezing coconut milk and how to use it.
How to Freeze Coconut Milk?
People often wonder if they can freeze coconut milk and how to use frozen coconut milk in recipes. Read the following article to find out tips on freezing coconut milk and using it later! While it is not recommended for drinking by itself, it works well for cooking, smoothies, and baking purposes.
Can you Freeze Canned Coconut Milk?
Yes, you can freeze canned coconut milk.
Does Coconut Milk Freeze Well?
Yes, coconut milk does freeze well. The texture may change slightly, but the taste will be the same. It works best when you are adding frozen coconut milk cubes to smoothies, curries, or cooked meals. The best practice when using frozen coconut milk in a recipe is to thaw and then use a hand blender to emulsify it.
Three ways to freeze canned coconut milk
- The best way is to pour any leftover coconut milk into ice cube trays and place them in the freezer until solid. Then place the cubes into a freezer bag or Stasher bag. Next time you make fruit smoothies or need an ingredient for a Thai curry, thawed frozen cubes will save the day! Ice cube trays is our favorite way to freeze coconut milk because you can take out as many or as few cubes as you want.
- Scoop the leftover can of coconut milk into an airtight container that is safe for the freezer. Then freeze the canned coconut milk.
- If you do not have any ice cube trays or airtight containers on hand, then scoop the coconut milk into a ziplock bag and put it into the freezer.
What Kind of Containers Are Good For Freezing Coconut Milk?
Since coconut milk has an indefinite shelf life when in a can, most people wonder what kind of containers work best for freezing it once you open the can. Any freezer-safe container will be acceptable! Plastic or glass containers both work well when it comes to freezing the milk. If you choose to use a ziplock bag instead, make sure that you press all air out of it before sealing the bag.
Airtight BPA-Free Freezer Containers
You can store leftover canned coconut milk in a covered airtight container and placed in the refrigerator for up to five days. If you are not planning to use coconut milk within five days, freezing the leftover is your best option. Transfer the contents of an open can of coconut milk to the freezer and use it within one month.
- Set includes (12) 4-ounce containers with lids measuring 3 x 3 x 2.36 inches; (1) sheet of labels to mark your containers; (1) complimentary baby food recipe guide.
- Transparent matte shell material is made of food grade PP and BPA Free plastic that allows you to clearly see stored food and know it’s safe and secure.
- Versatile containers give you the option to store small or large portions, accommodate different foods and feed at home or on-the-go.
- Containers store easily thanks to nested bottoms and lids. And spiral sealed lids ensure leak-proof, airtight and waterproof performance you can count on.
- Containers go from freezer to microwave to dishwasher top for easy storage, heating and cleaning.
Ice Cube Trays
Using ice cube trays to freeze leftover canned coconut milk is a genius idea. It’s important to use ice cube trays with a lid for two reasons. One being that you don’t want anything to fall into them. The second is that you don’t want your coconut milk cubes to pick up other freezer odors. Transfer the milk into ice cube trays and put the cubes in an airtight container or freezer bag for storage. The cubes will usually last for at least one to two months when stored properly.
- Food-Grade Material - This ice cube tray with lid is made of food grade silicone and plastic, assuring these trays are durable and reusable.
- Easy Release-The little push points on the bottom make it so much easier to get the ice out of these trays than your traditional ice tray.
- Making 42 Cubes at One Time-Produce up to 21 cubes from a single tray. This small size allows it to fit into most water bottles, and freeze quickly.
- Saving Space-Removeable lid for resisting dirt and odor, also allows you to stack up 2 ice trays together, much space saving. The ice cube trays especially for small freezers
- What You Get: 2 package Ice cube trays with lids,Our worry-free 6-month warranty and friendly customer service.TOTALLY RISK FREE, buy with confidence now.
Stasher Reusable Silicone Bags
Leftover coconut milk is easy to scoop into a stasher silicone bag; then, you may want to emulsify the coconut milk after thawing it by hitting the stasher bag against the kitchen counter.
- PLATINUM SILICONE: The world's first fully functional, self-sealing, reusable alternative to single-use plastic bags. Plus, unlike traditional single-use plastic bags, Stasher bags contain no BPA, no PVC, and no latex. Keep your food safe from contaminants in Stasher bags
- ELIMINATE SINGLE-USE PLASTIC WASTE: Each Stasher eliminates thousands of single-use plastic bags from ending up in our oceans or landfills
- PINCH-LOC TM: Features the innovative air-tight Pinch-Loc TM to keep food fresh to store, marinade, and sous vide. Keep your food’s nutrients, flavors and juices locked in. Just burp your Stasher to remove excess air and pinch the seal closed
- DISHWASHER AND MICROWAVE SAFE: Platinum food-grade silicone is safe for use in the freezer, microwave, dishwasher, boiling water, and oven up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- START YOUR STASH: Half-gallon 10.25”x 8.25”x 1.5” (64oz); Sandwich 7.5”x 7.5” x 1” (28oz); Snack 4.5”x 7.5”x 1” (12oz); Pocket 3.5"x 4.5"x 1" (4oz); Stand-Up Mid 7.75"x 7"x 3" (56oz); Stand-Up Mega 9.5"x 8.25"x 4.75" (104oz); Stand-Up Mini 7.5"x 5.75"x 2.5" (28oz); Go 5"x 8.5"x 1.5" (18oz)
Flour Storage Containers
If you freeze coconut milk in ice cube trays, you can store the cubes in the flour storage container. Next freeze the container as a whole. You will need a large freezer for this because most flour jars are large.
- OXO Good Grips POP Containers’ airtight, space-efficient design keeps dry foods fresh and your cupboards organized
- New shapes, sizes and BPA free, dishwasher-safe construction stack perfectly with all POP Containers and can be customized to fit any space
- Convenient fill line makes it easy to store staples like cereal, flour, sugar, pasta, rice, coffee, nuts and snacks
- Brand-new line of solution-based accessories easily attach to the underside of POP Container lids. This container has an A lid Type so is compatible with the labels, date dial, leveler, coffee scoop, dusting scoop, and half cup scoop. Accessories sold separately
- Push the button to engage the airtight seal. The button doubles as a handle for the lid. For best results, always use the button to open and close. Do not carry POP Containers by the lid
How Long Can You Freeze Coconut Milk For?
When you are wondering just how long you can freeze the milk, it is essential to know that the shelf life of coconut products varies with every product. For example a coconut cream in the refrigerator section will go bad quicker then a can of coconut cream. However, if left unopened in a can, then it typically has an indefinite shelf life. However, once you open it, the leftover canned coconut milk will usually last for about five days when stored in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you freeze leftover opened coconut milk, it will usually last for about one to two months.
What are some recipes I can make with frozen coconut milk? (plan to blend the previously frozen coconut milk, so the texture becomes smooth again)
12 Recipe Ideas Using Coconut Milk
1. Vegan Thai Coconut Soup
2. Spicy Coconut Milk Shrimp
3. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Curry with Turmeric Cream
4. Maple Pecan Pie Oatmeal Cups
5. Mango Sticky Rice
6. Vegan Double Chocolate Pomegranate Brownies
7. Hemp Seed Basil Pesto Pasta
8. Thai Quinoa Bowl with Grilled Peanut Tofu
9. Strawberry Sunrise Green Smoothie
10. Vegan Coconut Cake
11. Vegan Raspberry Cheesecake
12. Healthy Coconut Butter Cups Recipe
13. Frozen coconut milk + blueberry popsicles
Should Coconut Milk Defrost Before Using It?
Allowing coconut milk to defrost depends on how you intend to use it. To use coconut milk cubes in a smoothie, you don’t need to let them thaw first. Put your frozen coconut milk cubes in the blender and let the machine emulsify the frozen coconut milk.
On the other hand, if you are adding the frozen coconut milk to a curry or soup, you may want to thaw it and blend it with a hand mixer, so the consistency of your meal is just right.
Does the Texture of Frozen Coconut Milk Change When Thawed?
Yes, the texture of coconut milk can change when it is frozen. The frozen coconut milk will become grainy. In its natural state, coconut milk is already a slightly thick and creamy beverage or cooking ingredient. If kept in this state while frozen, it will thaw as a solid mass then separate. The fats will separate from the liquids, leaving an unappealing mix of juice and fat. For an ideal situation, you will need to blend the two components before use. If you have a hand blender or whisk, just mix and agitate the frozen coconut milk until it is creamy again.
Can you freeze coconut cream?
Yes, coconut cream, just like coconut milk, is easy to freeze. If you love coconut milk but don’t use it often enough to keep it in your freezer all the time, this is an excellent option for you.
Don’t forget after you thaw the frozen coconut cream, you may want to either blend it or vigorously whisk it, so it comes together as one mass.
How to Freeze Coconut Cream:
1. Pour cooled coconut cream into glass containers (like mason jars) or ice cube trays and freeze. If using an ice cube tray, freeze the coconut milk for about 30 minutes until slivers of ice start to form on the edges.
2. Transfer frozen cubes or jar of coconut cream into a zip-seal bag and return to the freezer. Safely store coconut cream in the freezer for up to two months, but we wouldn’t recommend keeping it much longer than that.
3. You can use coconut cream in baking, smoothies, and sauces. It also makes delicious icing when added to confectioners sugar, vanilla, and a dash of salt.
Does Coconut Milk Curdle?
Coconut milk is more popular than ever. It’s a highly versatile ingredient to cook with because you can add it to dishes, used in baking, or mixed into your favorite smoothie. One thing that may turn some people off of cooking with coconut milk is the possibility of curdling.
When you cook coconut milk, the emulsifier becomes denatured. A denatured emulsifier means that the water and oil will separate and cause the coconut milk to curdle. There are several things you can do to prevent this from happening.
You can make sure to cook the coconut milk on low heat and stir it frequently. You can also add a thickening agent, such as cornstarch or arrowroot. If your coconut milk dish curdles, simply turn the heat down and continuously but gently stir it until the coconut milk blends back in.
Can You Freeze Coconut Water?
Yes, the best way to do it is to freeze the coconut water in ice cube trays, then you can transfer them to a freezer-safe bag. Coconut water is full of electrolytes, and adding a few cubes of coconut water ice cubes to your seltzer drink will not only make it taste good, but you will get some extra electrolytes as well.
Conclusion: Can you Freeze Coconut Milk?
Ah, the eternal question of how to freeze coconut milk. Well, lucky for you, we have a solution! Here are our tips for freezing coconut milk so that your morning smoothie is always ready to go.
Read this article for tips on freezing coconut milk and how to use it! If you’ve ever tried to freeze coconut milk, you know it doesn’t necessarily come out as a solid block. You can use your ice cube tray for freezing small portions or store the frozen blocks in bags, so they are easy to grab when needed. The article also provides tips on how to thaw and cook with them!