I’ll never forget that day when I got mealy worms and moths in my cabinets and bags of flour. Since then, I always keep my flours and other dried goods in one of the best flour jars. An airtight flour container is a must to prevent pantry pests from invading your flour.
Not only does the best flour jar help keep your flour fresh it’s also a great way to keep your pantry organized and clutter-free. Marie Kondo, who is an organizing master, loves to organize a kitchen pantry by category. Keeping all of your flours organized inside airtight kitchen canisters will allow you to accomplish a kitchen that sparks joy!
Whether you only have one bag of flour or every type of flour on the market, keeping them fresh is essential. Usually, the wheat and white flour come in a paper sack; which is not ideal for storage. Mainly, the paper sack is not suitable for keeping critters out of your flour products. According to Healthline, flour needs to be in an airtight container to preserve its freshness.
If you are not baking with one of the glass bakeware sets weekly then you will definitely need an airtight flour storage container.
Just in case you are in a rush and don’t want to read the whole article:
Our Top 3 Picks for the Best Flour Jar
Our Number One Pick For The Best Flour Jar
- Rubbermaid Container, BPA Free Plastic, Brilliance Pantry Airtight Flour Storage (16 Cup)
Although we like the pop lid on the OXO Good Grips flour container better than this lid, some people have complained about the top not sealing correctly. This issue with the cover is why we choose the Rubbermaid flour storage container as our number one pick!
Using an airtight flour container will prolong the shelf life of your flour. Not only do they keep it fresh, but they also keep out pests. Don’t make the mistake I did and let Indian meal moths invade your kitchen. If worms and larvae raiding your cupboards and setting up shop gross you out, then properly store your flour to avoid the problem. The Indian meal moths can quickly get out of control, so the easiest solution is to keep your dried food products in airtight containers.
Wheat flour tends to last 4-8 months, whereas gluten-free flours go bad quicker. If you are an avid baker and use various flours, like spelt, amaranth, buckwheat, brown rice, teff, then definitely buy separate airtight flour jars for each one.
A silicone muffin tray might be a nice addition to your pandemic baking life! It will give you one more reason to use up all of that flour you have in storage!
This Rubbermaid container has all of the essential features of any best flour container.
- Rubbermaid Modular Food Storage Containers can hold pasta, baking ingredients, or other pantry staples; save space and keep pantry organized
- Great for pet food; easy to clean and scoop food from, and tight lids keep out moisture and humidity
- Lids snap tight to help keep food fresh
- Containers stack for compact storage
- Thick, durable container walls for everyday use
Things We Like
- BPA Free
- The Rubbermaid flour storage container is stackable.
- It is safe for the top-rack of a dishwasher.
- Another essential feature is that its stain and odor resistant.
- The flour canister fits a 5-pound bag of flour, although it does go right up the rim. Pro Tip: use a cup or two of the flour before pouring it in here.
Thinks We Don’t Like
- It does not have a vacuum seal like the OXO flour canisters.
- The 5-pound bag of flour fits too tightly; some opted for the cereal container instead since it can hold more flour.
Tied for the Number One Best Flour Storage Container
- OXO Good Grips POP Container – Airtight Food Storage – 4.4 Qt for Flour
OXO is one of those trusted brands that you don’t have to guess whether or not they are good; you just know they are. The OXO flour jar is a more straightforward design on an old model.
Almost every retail outlet sells kitchen supplies from OXO; that trust goes a long way. The best flour jar has to have an airtight seal as well as a good design.
OXO has both, and this airtight flour container will last ten or more years. A few years back, when I downsized and moved, this OXO flour jar came with me. My favorite thing about it is the pop lid; I prefer to push the pop button instead of manually snapping a lock, like many other flour storage containers on the market.
- OXO good grips POP containers airtight, space-efficient design keeps dry foods fresh and your pantry organized
- New shapes, sizes and dishwasher-safe construction stack perfectly with all POP Containers and can be customized to fit any space
- Convenient fill line makes it a cinch to store pantry staples like cereal, flour, sugar, pasta, rice, coffee, nuts and snacks
- Brand-new line of solution-based accessories easily attach to the underside of POP Container lids. Accessories sold separately.
- Push the button to engage the airtight seal. The button doubles as a handle for the lid. For best results, always use the button to open and close. Do not carry POP Containers by the lid.
Things We Like
- The OXO flour containers are stackable.
- We love the lid with the pop button. There are not bulky clasps on the side of this best flour jar!
- Dishwasher safe.
- BPA free – is an important feature to have in the best flour jar.
- Airtight: it will keep your flour fresher for more extended periods.
- The OXO flour and sugar containers come with a lifetime warranty.
Thinks We Don’t Like
- The new design does not seal as well.
- Some flour containers might arrive without the lid.
Best Glass Flour Jar
- Leaves and Trees is a Large Glass Food Storage Container, 100 FL OZ (3000ml) Glass Food Canister with Airtight Bamboo Lids for Your Pantry, BPA-Free Cereal Dispenser Jars for flour, pasta, rice, or any other dried goods.
Glass is one of the safest things to store your food in. You don’t have to worry about plastics leaching into your food with glass pantry storage containers. The seamless, clean looking design will allow you to keep your kitchen organized.
This glass flour container has a bamboo lid and looks great on a kitchen counter!
The glass part of the Leaves and Trees brand glass pantry jar is safe to put into the dishwasher but not the lid. The company recommends taking the lid off and handwashing it.
- [Large Capacity] The glass storage canister's size is 5.9x7.8 inch(15cmx20cm), bigger than other kitchen canisters. This large food storage jars can hold about 100 OZ(3000ml) liquid or 5.7 lbs(2.6 kg) rice.
- [Airtight Bamboo Lid] This cereal container's lid is the tight with the mouth. It is more airtight to keep the food fresh and dry.
- [Widely Use] The glass canister's mouth is 5.9inch(15cm), you can hold dry or wet food, just like pasta, rice, coffee beans, pet food, fruit, honey and etc.
- [Highly Glass] The clear food storage jars are made of high-quality borosilicate glass and BPA free silicon which withstand temperature 0℉ to 400℉, you can put this airtight food canister in the pantry, kitchen or fridge.
- [Easy to Clean] These large glass containers are dishwasher and microwave safe. Kindly recommend to take off the lid before washing them in dishwasher.
Things We Like
- Clean seamless design.
- The glass flour container has a wide mouth that will allow you to scoop out a cup of flour or more efficiently.
- Non-slip base. The non-slip flour jar base allows you to store this anywhere without sliding off a shelf and breaking.
- This excellent glass pantry jar can hold a whole bag of flour and a measuring cup. (Some people like to leave the measuring cup inside)
Thinks We Don’t Like
- You may have to grip the glass flour jar with both hands to get the lid off.
- The bamboo lid and silicone sealer have a smell. Pro Tip: Wash this glass flour canister, then let it air out before putting any food into it.
Best Flour Jar Set
If you get this set, that will not be a problem for you. We find this to be the best flour jar set because it also comes with a specially designed container for brown sugar. So no more brown sugar issues with this pantry storage container set.
- OXO Good Grips 8-Piece POP Flour Container Baking Set with 5 Labels
OXO has the best lid that is easy to use; I like it better than the brands that snap on the side.
Sometimes I buy brown sugar for a recipe and then get too busy to do any more baking for a few months. So the brown sugar sits there on the shelf, and if you are like me, then you’ll relate to this.
Too many times, I buy all of the ingredients I need for a specific recipe. I am not even thinking about brown sugar because, in my mind, I have it at home. Lo and behold, when I get home and begin to prepare my recipe, I find my brown sugar has turned into a rock.—what a bummer. Now I have to do all kinds of magic tricks trying to soften the brown sugar.
If you like to use a nut chopper to make gluten free nut flours from scratch, having small airtight containers to store them in is important.
- Set includes: OXO POP Containers Baking Set (2) 0.4 Qt, (1) 1.1. Qt and (2) 4.4 Qt; 3 POP Accessories: (2) ½ cup Scoops, (1) Brown Sugar Saver, and (1) Sheet of 5 labels
- Keep baking ingredients fresh and organized with this must-have set. Dishwasher-safe construction and space-efficient design stacks perfectly with all POP Containers and can be customized to fit any space
- Sized to fit baking essentials including 1 lb boxes of brown sugar, 5 lb bags of flour and sugar, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips, coconut flakes and more
- Convenient accessories attach neatly to the underside of POP lids: the ½ cup scoops are perfect for measuring, and the Brown Sugar Saver keeps brown sugar soft
- Simply push the button to engage the airtight seal. The button doubles as a handle for the lid. For best results, always use the button to open and close. Do not carry POP Containers by the lid
Things We Like
- The OXO clear pantry containers are compact and stackable.
- We love the variety of sizes. Keeping various baking items organized is a cinch with this best canister set.
- The lids on these flour container sets easily come apart to deep clean all of the creases.
Thinks We Don’t Like
- Some people are reporting that after a few months of use, the lids are not sealing correctly.
Best Large Flour Jar
- Chef’s Path Extra Large Tall Food Storage Containers 7 qt/ 220oz/ 6.5L, For Flour, Sugar – Airtight Kitchen & Pantry Bulk Food Storage, BPA-Free – 2 PC Set – Measuring Scoops, Pen & 8 Labels.
If you shop at any of the big box stores like Costco, buy flour in bulk quantities, or bake a lot, you will want to have one of these large flour jars. We love how this brand is so committed to its customers loving these extra-large airtight storage containers that they offer a 100% money-back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied.
Keep in mind that these large flour storage containers measure 11 inches tall. You might need to modify a shelf to fit them. In particular, each one can hold 8.8 lbs of flour. For this reason, having large airtight containers for flour is extremely important if you want to keep the flour fresh as well as keep bugs out.
- ✮ Superior bundle - Your complete bundle comes with 2 BPA-free premium food-storage canisters (7.3 x 6 x 11.2 inches), 4 measuring cups, a chalkboard pen & 8 bonus reusable chalkboard labels allowing you to organize your pantry like never before. This set comes in a beautiful box which makes it an ideal gift for any family. Nobody else in the market provides more value to you than us.
- ✮ Solid seal - These tall plastic food containers come with side-locking lids that ensure maximum freshness and prolonged food storage by sealing tightly. They will protect your food from air and water so that you never have to worry about your favourite foods turning stale again!
- ✮ Versatile containers - many great uses: These air-tight food-safe keepers are ideal for storing dry foods such as flour, sugar, rice, grain, chips, cereals, nuts, beans, snacks, pasta, coffee and tea.
- ✮ Space saving design - These durable bins have been especially designed to minimize space, they are stackable and will easily fit into your refrigerator, freezer or cupboard which enables you to get the kitchen organized and frees up space in the pantry. These clear containers are also easy to clean, extremely user friendly and ready to use.
- ✮ Our promise - We are completely confident that you will Love our containers, if you don't love it or don't feel it was worth every penny of your investment today, we'll give your full payment back no questions asked and you can keep the containers as well.
Things We Like
- These airtight large storage containers are dishwasher safe.
- The side locking lid has an airtight seal.
Thinks We Don’t Like
- Be aware of the shipping issue. These large flour jars arrive stuck inside of each other. You might need help separating them.
- These large flour jars have flimsy plastic that is not entirely see-through. It is slightly more opaque than transparent.
What Is A Flour Jar And Why You Need One
The best flour jar will be airtight; what this means is that the lid locks in a way that keeps air from exchanging with your flour. Anyone with a bag of flour in their cupboard should put it in a flour storage container, especially if you have white flour, wheat flour, or any other gluten-free flour alternatives out there.
The Different Types of Flour Canisters
- Glass Flour Container – the best flour jar for sure!
- Plastic Flour Container (most are BPA free and non-toxic) -another best flour jar!
- Airtight Flour Container (glass or plastic)
- Food Grade 5 Gallon Buckets
3 Benefits Of Using A Flour Storage Container
- Keep bugs out. Most importantly, flour bugs like flour weevils will not be able to lay eggs in your flour. Flour weevils are attracted to the flour and for this reason, using the best flour jar is essential. Another critical point is that the bag the flour comes in might have weevil eggs in the paper crevice from the grocery store or factory. Firstly the safest thing to do is get rid of the bag it comes in. Secondly, transfer your flour to one of the best flour jars.
- Keep it fresh for longer. Using an airtight flour storage container will prolong most flours’ shelf life and keep it fresh tasting. Like white, wheat, and spelt, all flours need to be in a cool, dry, dark place inside of an airtight container.
- Keep your kitchen organized. A flour storage container will keep your kitchen organized. Especially if you get one like the oxo flour container, this brand is stackable, and they look good in your pantry.