Are you looking for a new carbon steel wok? The daily task of cooking is essential, and a carbon steel wok will make it easier and fun! Cooking is also one of the most enjoyable and satisfying activities! One critical item every cook needs to have on hand is a good, quality wok. A good wok is just as important as a small rice cooker, both are there to make your life easier while cooking.
The best carbon steel woks will give you superior heat retention and distribution for making perfect stir-fries or searing meat and vegetables while maintaining that traditional Asian flavor. If you don’t have a big kitchen or live in an RV, you may go with a small electric wok instead.
You can find these at any price range, but getting something durable is always worth it, instead of spending less money on something flimsy. If you are looking for some guidance when shopping for your next wok, here are eight thorough reviews to help you make an informed decision about what might be suitable for your kitchen.
“Over time, my esteem for stir-frying has only grown. I see it as a way of life, both timeless and timely.”Grace Young Stir-Frying to the Sky’s Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories | May 2010
8 Reviews of the The Best Carbon Steel Wok
#1 Carbon Steel Wok with Wooden Handle and Lid -Best Carbon Steel Wok
- 【Universal Wok】The wok pan has been tested thoroughly to ensure that it works perfectly on various heat sources, like electric stoves, induction stoves, gas ranges and other heat sources.The flat base makes sure it sits securely on any stovetop.
- 【What You Can Get】Except for 13-inch carbon steel wok, and wooden lid, you also can get six accessories, like slotted turner, ladle, wok spatula, skimmer, rice spoon and pasta server. The handle is wooden so you will not get hot during using and also is easy to grip. The wooden lid allows you to accelerate cooking soups, sauces and vegetables conveniently.
- 【HONEYCOMB DESIGN & CARBON STEEL CONSTRUCTION】This stir fry pan uses the best and most common material for woks .This wok combined the benefits of cast iron and stainless steel while removing their pitfalls. The wok is lightweight and responds to heat changes quickly and evenly which can also sustain super high temperatures without damage- perfect for wok cooking! The surface has a honeycomb design which hardness, reduces scratches and maintains the beauty of the wok.
- 【Situable For Diverse Cooking Ways】This wok ensures quick, efficient heating and exceptional heat transfer. Wok pan can be used in various cooking methods, like pan-frying, braising, boiling, steaming, deep-frying and so on. This chinese wok can make more Asian food.
- 【Long-lasting Wok】Our carbon steel wok uses no chemical coating and honeycomb design and it ensures superb performance and durability for lifetime using.In addition, wok can tolerate extreme temperature.
Looking for a quality carbon steel wok that comes with all the bells and whistles? Look no further! This wok from has it all–a wooden lid, six cooking utensils, and a honeycomb design to reduce scratches. Plus, the flat base ensures secure stovetop placement. We love how this wok works will all types of stovetops.
Works with – electric cooktops, induction stoves, gas ranges, and other heat sources.
- The wok will work with induction cooktops and is versatile.
- They make the wood handle, so it will not get hot while in use and is simple to grab.
- You’ll enjoy cooking with this best carbon steel wok more than ever before!
#2 Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok
Another Best Carbon Steel Wok
- Round Bottom Heavy 14 Inch 15 gauge (1.8mm) carbon steel wok, commercial grade. Original design by Craft Wok since 2014, proven quality over the years. Traditional chinese wok pan with round bottom.
- Not suitable for flat electric or flat induction stove. Carbon steel wok may rust. Do not forget to season it before use! Instructions for easy seasoning are included with the wok. Our customer service is ready to guide through the process whenever you need it.
- Hand hammered by Chinese professionals in Guangzhou. This wok is the proven choice of many professional Chinese chefs. Wok weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg). Heavy and sturdy.
- Steel helper handle will not burn when you stir fry over high heat, also helpful for hanging the wok for storage. Wooden handle has special hygroscopic not slippery surface for tight grip when you stir-fry.
- Craft Wok - Love Wok! We are a team of professionals drawn together by our passion for the carbon steel wok. Our mission is to bring you as much pleasure from Stir-frying in a wok, as chefs get in restaurants across China. To do this, we have found the best manufacturers in China. Our range of branded products is 100% authentic traditional carbon steel woks, 7 years on market.
The Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok is an excellent cooking utensil for creating masterful culinary dishes. This best carbon steel wok has a round bottom which allows for even heat distribution, ensuring that your food will cook evenly. The wooden handle with the steel helper handler also adds stability and control while you’re cooking.
Works with – gas or open fire range.
- It is durable and will last years with proper care.
- Excellent heat distribution for even cooking.
- Cooking your favorite dishes has never been easier.
#3 Mecete Wok pan 5th Generation, Traditional Hand Hammered
- A gift from Chinese Ancient Cook skill: Mecete Chinese hand hammered wok is made of high-quality wrought iron. If clean carbon steel is heated to above 550 degrees F, the surface steel will oxidize to black iron oxide, Fe3O4, showing a beautiful black-blue to aqua-blue patina. This blued or black iron oxide surface, adheres quickly to oils. And the oiled blued steel is very rust resistant, it is also a non-stick surface for cooking.
- Uncoated and No bubbles: Comparing with the machine-making pot, it is firm and uniform in density without any hollow and air bubbles. It adopts premium quality iron to make, which has few impurities and a smooth surface without coating. Say goodbye to those coated pan and give you a relaxing and healthy cooking experience.
- Iron dissolved in Cooking: It has great thermal conductivity for transferring the temperature of the fire to the food directly to ensure your nutritious and delicious food, save more gas and time for you. The small amount of beneficial iron elements dissolved in wok cooking can provide the iron elements needed by human body and it is absorbed easily.
- Steady Handle: Mecete Traditional Hand Hammered Uncoated Carbon Steel Pow Wok has a strong and steady handle. As you can see from the photos, the handle of the wok is the same piece with the wok itself. No more worry about the loose handle problem.
The Mecete Wok pan 5th Generation, Traditional Hand Hammered is state-of-the-art cookware made of carbon steel material and features two handles. This best carbon steel wok has a long handle that allows you to hold it without burning your hands, while you can use the short handle when seasoning or moving it on top of an electric stove. It also comes with a silicone sleeve, so you don’t have to worry about getting burned by the hot metal handle when using this best carbon steel wok.
Works with – gas or open fire range.
- Durable and long-lasting, non-toxic wok, without any coating.
- Easy to use and clean since it is one uniform piece without any screws.
- You’ll be able to cook your favorite dish for generations, with this best carbon steel wok.
#4 Helen’s Asian Kitchen Helen’s Asian Kitchen Wok
- Helen’s Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel Wok for stir frying, stewing, sauteing, steaming, braising, frying, and deep frying favorite Asian recipes and more
- Made from 1. 6-millimeter carbon steel with 2-tone heat-resistant bamboo handle; sturdy riveted design; hangs for easy storage
- Carbon steel distributes heat quickly so foods cook evenly; cooking surface collects a natural patina over time for non-stick cooking performance
- Flat bottom design sits securely on any stovetop; works with gas, electric and induction; carbon steel is recyclable and bamboo is sustainable
- Carbon steel is easily seasoned and maintained to help prevent rust; full instructions included; lifetime against manufacturer’s defects
Are you looking for a way to make your cooking more efficient and healthier? You don’t need to look any further than Helen’s Asian Kitchen’s new wok! This high-quality, versatile piece of cookware is perfect for sautéing veggies, stir-frying noodles or meats, deep frying shrimp balls, and even making the perfect fried rice.
They make the carbon steel wok from heavy-gauge carbon steel to withstand intense heat without warping while remaining lightweight for easy lifting during cooking. It also includes a bamboo handle that won’t become too hot to touch when using it on an open flame. With all these features and benefits, what are you waiting for?
Works with – gas, electric, and induction stovetops.
- The high dome lid allows you to retain heat and moisture, cooking healthier meals with little to no oil.
- You can easily lift and toss food.
- The wok is not as heavy as some of our other picks
- It does not have a Teflon non-stick coating; you must season it to add your non-stick coating.
- Delight your family with insanely good food.
#5 Joyce Chen, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set
- Wok set includes 14-inch wok, dome lid, 12-inch bamboo spatula, and recipe booklet
- Made of 1-1/2 mm gauge carbon steel for fast, even heating; requires seasoning before use
- Birch-wood stay-cool handles - one long and an opposite helper handle
- Nonstick steel dome lid with knob helps keep in heat, moisture, and nutrients
- Safe for use on either gas or electric cooktops; hand wash
If you’re looking for a quality carbon steel wok set that will last you for years, the Joyce Chen Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set is perfect for you. Heating and has a birch wood handle and helper handle. This set includes a 14-inch wok, dome lid, 12-inch bamboo spatula, and recipe booklet.
Works with – Gas or electric stovetops –
- Nonstick, easy to clean.
- Durable, will last you a lifetime.
- Get the professional quality of a high-end wok for an affordable price. (A best carbon steel wok!)
- Be able to cook your best dishes with ease and enjoy it more than ever before.
#6 YOSUKATA Carbon Steel Wok
- GENUINE TASTE: Discover the rich, authentic flavors of Chinese and other Asian cuisines in your own home. The Yosukata 14 inch wok with round bottom is specially designed to lock the juice and flavor inside ingredients
- PRE-SEASONED: Our carbon steel wok is pre-seasoned at high temperatures over 600F using special technics unlike unseasoned woks and stir fry pans. Still require full seasoning with oil like any Chinese wok
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: This large wok pan is made from heavy-duty, black carbon steel. The ergonomic design of the wooden handle ensures a comfy grip when you use this cooking wok
- VERSATILITY: In addition to stir-frying, with the Yosukata 14'' pow wok, you can cook healthy meals using various traditional cooking techniques like pan-frying, braising, deep-frying, etc.
- EASY HANDLING and STORAGE: Our steel wok is convenient to carry and easy to store
The YOSUKATA Carbon Steel Wok is a versatile and durable cooking tool that will be your go-to for everything from stir fry to steaming. Thanks to its carbon steel construction, the wok heats food evenly and efficiently while ensuring no chemicals leach into your food, unlike nonstick cookware. So no matter what kind of stovetop setup you have now or in the future, you can use this wok!
We love how they make New Zealand beech wood handles, and the wok itself won’t burn or release odors into your food. This product comes in multiple sizes, so you can shop for the one that fits your stove best.
Works with – The round bottom will work with: Gas stovetops, wok burner, open fire, whereas the flat bottom will work with electric stovetops.-
- The wok is made of a durable material that will last for a long time.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain the wok with the included instructions.
- You can cook healthier foods without using oils or butter.
- Cooking food in this wok makes your kitchen smell unique!
#7 Souped Up Carbon Steel Wok For Electric, Induction, and Gas Stoves
- PRE-SEASONED FOR IMMEDIATE USE - Sizzling stir frys, crispy deep frys, pan-searing to perfection.... while also able to make soups and stews!
- VIDEO AND WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS - Had problems with other carbon steel woks getting rusty? We have very simple care instructions, so you'll be cooking like a pro!
- THE ORIGINAL FLAT BOTTOM WOK - Works on electric stoves, induction stoves, gas ranges and other heat sources.
- SOUPED UP RECIPES CARBON STEEL WOK - Manufactured and imported by popular Youtuber, Souped Up Recipes.
- VIRAL TAKEOUT RECIPES - Over 900,000 subscribers trust her recipes... and we'll also include a link to over 200 video recipes in the box, many that can be made this wok.
If you’re looking for a high-quality carbon steel wok that will work with all types of stovetops, the Souped Up Carbon Steel Wok is perfect for you. It comes pre-seasoned, so you don’t have to spend time learning how to do the initial seasoning, and it’s great for cooking a variety of dishes. The creator has a Souped Up Recipes channel with lots of great ideas for cooking in this wok.
Works with – electric stoves, induction stoves, gas ranges, and open flames.-
- The flat bottom makes it easier to use without buying a wok ring.
- The handle comes off so you can season this wok inside of an oven.
- Cooks food faster and more evenly with its carbon steel construction.
- You’ll feel like a professional chef with your new kitchen tool.
#8 Homeries Carbon Steel Wok Pan – with Wok Cover
- PREMIUM ASIAN COOKWARE - Experience traditional Chinese culinary as Homeries brings you its Premium Wok Pan. It features an authentic Asian Cookware design that works exceptionally in stir-frying vegetables, prawns, fish, rice, and more.
- COMPLETE STIR FRY WOK SET - Each Set contains a Wok with Lid and two (2) Spatulas. The wooden lid is designed with a handle for easy handling. It features real wood construction, which adds classic farmhouse vibes to your kitchen
- CARBON STEEL CONSTRUCTION - This Carbon Steel Wok has the slick cooking surface of non-stick pans, the efficient heat transfer of stainless steel cookware, and the durability and heat tolerance of cast iron – an excellent choice for daily cooking!
- ERGONOMIC WOODEN HANDLE - The Wok's Wooden Handle is specially designed to provide home cooks and professional chefs a comfortable grip while cooking. Plus, it doesn't get hot, so your hands are 100% safe from burns while stir-frying on high heat.
- FOR ALL TYPES OF STOVES - Equipped with a flat base, this 12.5” Wok Frying Pan ensures secure sitting on any stovetop and cooking surfaces. You can use it on electric coils, electric and induction glass tops, gas stovetops, and other direct heat sources.
Do you want to cook healthier and more often, with less fat and oil? Then this is the wok for you. Homeries Carbon Steel Wok Pan makes it possible for even a beginner chef to create delicious meals quickly and easily. This wok is durable, too; you can use it on any stovetop or induction cooker without worrying that it will warp, crack, or chip.
The wooden lid helps keep your kitchen free from splashes and offers an easy place to put the cooked food while serving up. The wok cover also helps your food quickly cook or steam. This product also has a pour spout if you are making soup or other liquid foods like rice dishes or stews, which significantly reduces messes in the kitchen area.
Works with – electric coils, flat electric, induction glass tops, gas stovetops, and other direct heat sources.-
- Durable, made to last for a lifetime.
- Excellent price point for the quality of this wok set.
- You’ll be able to cook your favorite dishes with ease and grace.
- A wok cover is an excellent feature.
Reasons Why Cooking with a Best Carbon Steel Wok is Beneficial
A carbon steel wok is a must-have kitchen tool for anyone who wants to cook healthy meals quickly and easily. Our durable, best carbon steel wok suggestions come in various sizes and shapes to fit your needs, and they work with all types of stoves.
You’ll be able to create delicious, nutritious dishes that your whole family will love. Cooking with a wok takes more effort than cooking with stainless steel saute pan. If you don’t want the hassle of seasoning a wok, then just go with standard stainless steel cookware.-
- Easy to cook with, especially if you are pressed for time and can’t spend too much time in the kitchen.-
- Many of the woks have a round bottom which allows for even heat distribution, ensuring that your food will cook evenly.
- You’ll feel like a professional chef with your new kitchen tool.
- Easy to make healthy foods without frying or buttering the pan
The Different Types of Carbon Steel Woks
Flat-Bottomed Carbon Steel Wok
A Flat-Bottomed Carbon Steel Wok is great because they are compatible with all types of stoves, including induction. With one of these, you don’t need a wok ring.
Round-Bottomed Carbon Steel Wok
A round-bottomed wok is the traditional type of carbon steel wok, and they require a particular stove to use. Most round-bottomed woks have two short handles that they rivet for easier maneuvering. You can’t use round-bottomed wok’s on induction stoves or electric stoves, but you’ll still love how they cook your food quickly and evenly.
Flat Bottom Wok vs. Round
Each type of wok has pros and cons; a round-bottomed wok is more traditional; however, if you don’t have a gas or open flame, then it is pointless to get one. A flat bottomed wok is good because it is flat on any stovetop.
Cast Iron Wok
A cast iron wok is another type of wok. It’s known for providing the best heat retention, cooking your food extra fast and evenly. Like other carbon steel models, they make cast iron woks in China. They’re slightly heavier than different types of best carbon steel woks, but they’re an excellent choice if you want a wok that will last for generations.
What to Look for in a Wok
- A wok cover is a great feature, and if your wok doesn’t come with its wok cover, you can easily purchase one separately.
- Do you want to season the wok yourself or buy one that is already pre-seasoned? Remember that even if a wok is “pre-seasoned,” you will still have to strengthen it each time after you use it in the beginning.
- Helper handles are a great feature to help you lift, flip, and serve your food.
- Make sure your wok is not made with any non-stick or Teflon surfaces. We do not recommend getting a wok that has a non-stick surface. It is better to allow the non-stick surface to build up over time.
5 Mistakes People Make When Choosing a Carbon Steel Wok
#1 If you’re buying a carbon steel wok, make sure it’s not too thin. You don’t want your wok to warp on the stove or in the oven. Some of the best carbon steel woks are as thick as 2mm, and they work with all types of stoves and heat sources.
#2 Another common mistake is choosing a wok that’s too small. You don’t want something that’s too shallow because it won’t allow for tossing, stir-frying, steaming, or poaching.
#3 You should also avoid getting a wok that has a non-stick coating because the whole purpose of a wok is to let it build up a flavor profile through seasoning. You cannot season a wok that has a non-stick coating like Teflon.
#4 Make sure that the wok is not overly large. While it’s true that you can cook more significant portions of food with a pan with a broader diameter, a vast carbon steel wok will be challenging to lift and maneuver. The reason is that carbon steel is heavy, although not as severe as cast iron.
#5 If your wok comes pre-seasoned, make sure to check with the manufacturer to see how you should season it. Many woks come with their seasoning, and some manufacturers recommend that you coat the inside of the wok with oil or fat before placing it on a high heat source to let it build up an even patina over time.
How to Clean a Carbon Steel Wok After Cooking
Rinse your carbon steel wok with hot water. You can even boil water to soak it for 5 minutes.
Remove all food debris with a gentle scrubbing brush (do not use a metal scrubber in a wok).
Rinse the wok a second time with boiling water.
Dry your wok completely. This is the most critical step for wok care and how to clean a carbon steel wok after cooking.
You want to make sure your wok is dry. Place the wok on a hot stove or oven and dry it thoroughly. This step is part of seasoning a carbon steel wok after cleaning.
Use your favorite fat, oil, or grease to coat the entire inside of the wok (this will help prevent rust). The best way to get your carbon steel wok fully seasoned is by cooking with it regularly.
This entire process can be repeated, on the stovetop, until your wok is blackened and well-seasoned; however, some people use their carbon steel woks daily for years without having to re-season them due to the high volume of fats that they cook in the wok.
Now that you clean your carbon steel wok after cooking, you can put it away.
Do They Make a 10 Inch Carbon Steel Wok?
While a 10-inch carbon steel wok is hard to find since most of the woks are 11 inches or bigger. We were able to find one 10 inch carbon steel wok on amazon. Keep in mind that this 10-inch wok has a non-stick coating that is PFOA-free, it’s not a traditional wok, since you can’t cook with it at high heat. Whereas a traditional wok thrives on high heat cooking. But if you really need a 10-inch carbon steel wok, this one will have to work.
- 【NON-STICK & EASY TO CLEAN 】The skillet is PFOA free for healthy diet cooking. A frying pan with a non-stick feature is a good choice as its non-stick coating reduces the risk of the food getting burnt, making it easy to clean , much healthier ! With more stable build and smoother surface than the cast iron skillet, carbon steel pan will appeal to you.
- 【ALL-IN-ONE DEEPER PAN 】Super versatile and absolutely beautiful. As it is deeper（1in deep than general pans）, the handy pan can braise, strain, sauté, fry, sear, steam, boil food, and more. Our all-in-one pan can replace your fry pan, sauté pan, steamer, skillet, saucier, saucepan, nonstick pan, spatula, and spoon rest. The cast iron skillet has flat bottom , Margin deeper, Less likely to spill when cooking gourmet food.
- 【EASY TO MANAGE & STORE 】WACETOG frying pan has a rounded, ergonomically solid wooden handle that's a pleasure to hold. The pan's sturdy stick handle and proper weight make it easy to maneuver when you're sautéing or transferring it from the stovetop to oven. The handle has a hanging ring, which can be hung on the wall easy storage.
- 【HIGH QUALITY CARBON STEEL PAN 】Carbon steel wok is a durable pan that distributes heat evenly, allowing you to sear foods with less risk of burning. The carbon steel pans are very good at Thermal conductivity, Conducts heat quickly and evenly, retain heat longer, saves energy and time which allows it to be placed evenly over heat source.
- 【COMPATIBLE WITH ALL STOVE TOP 】The cooking essential can be used on all heat sources, including induction, gas, glass, and electric, and is oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Please note that the wooden handle needs to be removed before putting it in the oven.The pot is easy to disassemble without tools.
FAQ Section for Best Carbon Steel Wok
What is a Carbon Steel Wok?
A carbon steel wok is a strong cooking pan with tall sloping round sides. Some carbon steel woks have a flat bottom, whereas others have a round bottom. You can use carbon steel woks for various foods, including stir-frys, ramen, and soups. A carbon steel wok is cookware made of the most substantial carbon steel, hardened and tempered, has a carbon content between 0.6-1.25% and a manganese content between 0.3-0.9%.
What is Carbon Steel?
Carbon steel is a type of steel with carbon content from about 0.05 to 2.1, going on the percent by weight. Carbon steel is a type of ‘low-alloy’ steel. Carbon steel has much lower chromium levels compared to stainless steel.
What is a Wok Made Of?
They make a wok with either carbon steel or cast iron. A carbon steel wok is a great way for all people to benefit from wok cooking at home. A cast iron wok has excellent heat retention while becoming more and more seasoned the more you use it. One downside is that they are cumbersome and challenging for the averae home chef to lift. A carbon steel wok is a great way for all people to benefit from
Is Carbon Steel Safe For Cooking?
Yes, carbon steel is safe for cooking; a carbon steel wok does not come with a non-stick surface from the factory. The non-stick surface on a carbon steel wok is built up over time by cooking with it. A carbon steel wok does not release carcinogenic fumes into the air. They are also safe for cooking with if you have birds. It is essential to get non-toxic bird-safe cookware if you have birds since their airways are susceptible to chemicals.
What Kind of Wok Do Chinese Chefs Use?
Most Chinese chefs use a carbon steel wok for its ease of use. Like Chef Grace Young, the self-proclaimed wok evangelist says, “Today, the wok remains the center of family life in much of China. It is the iron thread that connects two thousand years of Chinese culinary history.” The Breath of a Wok | September 2004
Final Thoughts on the Best Carbon Steel Wok
If you’re looking for a quality carbon steel wok set that will last you for years, the Joyce Chen, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set, or the Craft Wok are both excellent choices! The Craft Wok is perfect for home chefs who want to cook healthier meals without much fuss. It’s made of durable carbon steel that heats food evenly and efficiently, and it comes pre-seasoned so you can start cooking right away.
The Craft’s best carbon steel wok has a round bottom which allows for even heat distribution, ensuring that your food will cook evenly. These woks are not compatible with all types of stoves, so make sure to research which woks work with which stoves.
More Kitchen Tips and Cookware Articles
- A compact toaster will come in handy if you don’t have a lot of kitchen space. See our top reviews.
- Fig and Cheese Pairing – What cheese goes with figs?
- Learn To Make a Crispy Baked Potato in the Toaster Oven – Toaster oven tips for baking potatoes!